Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The First Great Sleepover

I remember my first sleepover. It was a terrifying experience for me and I remember not sleeping a wink in fear that someone might dip my hand in warm water or put shaving cream in my sleeping bag. Granted this sleepover was a slumber party and I barely knew the girls. As I was quite possibly the single most unpopular person in my grade, you can understand how it might be a bit intimidating to subject myself to the mercy of a group of female peers. Scary. Of course, perhaps my first sleepover wasn’t the one I’m thinking. Forgive me if my mind is a little rusty in the youth memory department. In the event I’m wrong, my mom will surely call me promptly with a corrected version of the story. So, here I am, several years older with wee children of my own. A three and almost five year old and I’m already having a sleepover. Of course, they are my niece and nephew via Mandy so perhaps sleepover is the wrong term. Nevertheless, there are children that are not my own hunkering down in my house without their parents. Mandy and her hubby escaped for a 30-hour trip all to themselves. They get to experience the joys of silence, adult themed music and conversation, and eating without food being thrown across the room. I’m beyond thrilled that I can give them that experience. I’m sure they will enjoy their time off for good behavior. So far, the night has been fairly good. Granted, no one went to sleep easily and poor miss Greta went to sleep begging nonstop for juice. (Don’t ask.) Wesley kept referring to me as ‘Aunt Mandy’. I’m fairly certain he was delirious from exhaustion, as he didn’t go to sleep until 9:30. Tomorrow it’s a bright and early morning of chocolate chip pancakes and preschool. So here’s hoping the rest of the night goes smoothly. I can only hope that Wesley and Greta don’t go home permanently scarred from their four-kids-in-one-room-at-night experience. All in all…it’s been fun. On to the morning.


*Ugh...on an updated side note...It is 6:04 in the morning and I'm awake with two of the kids. The ladies decided to early rise. I'm not built for pre-sunrise...

2 comments:

Hoofprints said...

Sorry I deleted your comment Cindy. Blogging rule number 1. No last names. :) But I got the comment and I actually was thinking of your nights while watching the kids. You're an awesome grandma for doing it!

Granny Randi said...

Jessica, you're a doll for giving Sean and Mandy some much deserved adult time!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers